The Brant Lake General Store was built by the Barton Brothers in 1865. In 1894 Smith Barton sold the store, with the plan to move it to the new Palisades Hotel to be used as a kitchen addition. The store was moved up to Stephen Hayes's (Stoneleigh) using eight teams of horses, there to be moved across the ice to the hotel. However, it broke through the ice and had to be taken apart and moved in sections.
In 1895 the Barton Brothers built a new store at the original location. It was considered one of finest of its kind in northern NY. The store was 42'x62' with two floors. The upper floor was used as a dance hall and entertainment center. In 1924 Edward Cronin had a double deck porch built, and in 1930 Cronin built sleeping quarters over the store.
Over the years the store has been owned and operated by; the Barton Brothers, Frank Smith & Son, Philetus Smith, Kenovan, the Cronin Brothers, Ed Cronin, Paul Burnett, Roger Daby, and Val Steinman.
In 2006 the store was sadly destroyed by fire (arson).