Camp Seminole, owned by Horace and Eliza (Persons) Newton, opened its doors to year-round guests in 1917. In around 1922 they built an addition almost doubling the size, bringing it close to what it is today. Horace ran the Seminole for 27 years, spending his winters pursuing his trade as a taxidermist. After his death it was purchased in 1944 by Fred and Eva (Monroe) Culver, who added more cabins and made improvements, giving it a five-month season. The Culvers ran the lodge for 33 years until it was purchsed by George and Camille Dougan. With a new name, Seminole Lodge, they ran the hotel and cabins from 1977 until their retirement in 2001. The Dougans still use the lodge for their extended family.