The Wells House, situated on a hill overlooking Schroon Lake in the hamlet of Adirondack, was built in 1872 with Thomas Wells as proprietor. The hotel stood three stories high, was 65 feet long and 35 feet wide. A veranda offered a scenic view of the lake, as well as colorful sunsets. In 1875, an additional 40 feet was added to the length. Three years later, an ell was added, extending the building 74 feet to the east. A small cottage was later built, making accommodations for 150 guests from June to October. A long, stone jetty led out from the beach on the lake, where the excursion steamboat Effingham docked for incoming and outgoing passengers.